50th Anniversary Exhibition 2004
The British Horological Institute (BHI) was founded in London in 1858, “To promote the art and science of horology for the mutual protection and benefit of its members”. Ninety years later it was felt that the Institute would be better served by the establishment of branches and provincial centres, and, with northern watchmakers leading the way, regional branches were formed all over the British Isles and in other countries.
This branch was set up in 1954.Membership rose to over fifty – out of about four hundred watchmakers in the area. We still have an active membership of a similar number, of both professional horologists and enthusiastic amateurs in an area that covers the whole of East Anglia.
In 2004, we celebrated 50 years as a branch, and decided to mark the occasion with an exhibition. It wass a recognition of the work of our members, a celebration of clockmaking in East Anglia and an opportunity for the public to meet the BHI.
The exhibition was organised by the committee and members. At least 35 individuals contributed hundreds of exhibits, and other people helped in a variety of ways.
The exhibition was held from 3 -7 August 2004 at the Corn Exchange, Ipswich, and we would like to give special thanks to the staff who were unfailingly helpful and friendly.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, it is dependant on information supplied, and subject to the usual human frailties.
The pictures in the catalogue pages have been reduced to a standard size for ease and speed of viewing. If a better quality image is required, please contact us.
Copyright is reserved by the authors. Please ask if you wish to use any pictures for commercial purposes.
Posters and Mugs
The poster was designed and printed by committee members. We also designed a coffee mug, produced for us by Lowestoft Porcelain, and sold at the exhibition and afterwards. They proved very popular and are now sold out.